Be Nice

Friday 23 July 2010


I'm re-reading a book I loved last summer... "Desire" by John Eldredge.

When I turned to page 53 and saw a section titled "Blessed Are the Nice" I knew I was going to be challenged.

I am nice.

I don't break rules.
I don't get angry often.
I always say "yes."
I want you to like me and never get upset with me.

I don't stray very far from the set path. {Literally}.
It took me months before I gained the courage to walk on the grass at JBU.

But, am I supposed to be nice? Or is nice just another form of apathetic?

Eldredge says, "We are producing a generation of men and women whose greatest virtue is that they don't offend anyone"

I don't know, Jesus was pretty offensive to His culture...

"But the diction used by Christ is quite gigantesque, it is full of camels leaping through needles and mountains hurled into the sea"--GK Chesterton

I really don't know...I'm just beginning to wrestle with the idea, and these are my thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. i read in prov. 24 this morning:
    whoever says to the wicked, "you are in the right," will be cursed by peoples, abhorred by nations, but those who rebuke the wicked will have delight, and a good blessing will come upon them.

    i usually feel like the path of least resistance and least offense is my preference...but sometimes God calls us to speak up!

    love you girl <3

    ReplyDelete