Simple

Saturday 7 November 2009




Ever since I travelled eastward, across the Atlantic Ocean to the lovely Island of Ireland, I've fallen in love some of the most simple things.


Post Cards. I love the way such a small commercially printed card can travel all the way to Kansas/Arkansas with my love to the people I care about.

"Letters to absence can a voice impart,
And lend a tongue when distance gags the heart"
-Horace Walpole.



Poetry. I used to think poetry was stuffy, that it had too many rules. That was before I was introduced to Seamus Heaney. I love his writing and the way he makes poetry personal.

Here's a taste of Heaney:
Scaffolding

Masons, when they start upon a building,
Are Careful to test out the scaffolding;

Make sure that planks won't slip at busy points,
Secure ladders, tighten bolted joints.

And yet all this comes down when the job's done,
Showing off walls of sure and solid stone.

So if, my dear, there sometimes seem to be
Old bridges breaking down between you and me,

Never fear. We may let the scaffolds fall,
Confident that we have built our wall.


Running. The scenery of Ireland has made me fall back in love with
running, a sport that I have never fully committed to before. I do things that I never would have done before to keep my relationship with running strong. I wake up at 7 AM, I run in the rain, I climb steep hills so I can have a better view of the rolling Irish hills, I run through mud so I can be closer to the trees, I climbed over a gigantic tree today that had fallen in the middle of the trail, blocking the path, ...It's great. But my shoes are ruined.



1 comment: