Discipline

Thursday 4 March 2010


I realized yesterday, during Old Testament class how glad I am that I have a God who disciplines me.

I've been reading Ezekiel recently, it is kind of a random book filled with lots of rebellion, funeral songs and a random story about two eagles, but the story line speaks to my heart. Israel was a rebellious nation who continuously chose other things as more important than God, and yet God didn't give up on them. He chose to love them through disciplining them; he didn't give up on their holiness.

"I will rule over you with an iron fist in great anger and with awesome power. And in anger I will reach out with my strong hand and powerful arm, and I will bring you back from the lands where you are scattered. I will bring you into the wilderness of the nations, and there I will judge you face to face. I will judge you there just as I did your ancestors in the wilderness after bringing them out of Egypt...I will examine you carefully and hold you to the terms of the covenant." -Ezekiel 20: 33-37.

I used to be terrified of this kind of language, but after Old Testament class (we're studying Exodus and Deuteronomy) I see it differently. This is a God who is in love with His people. He is angry because the people whom he has pursued and adored and lavished upon have chosen other lovers instead of Himself. His law and His covenant are love letters addressed to His bride.

I never thought of it like that.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!