Prince Charming doesn't exist

Tuesday 16 February 2010


So, I started reading this slightly controversial book yesterday. The title would probably scare most people off, but I'm a curious person so it only made me want to read it. It's called "Marry Him: The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough" by Lori Gottlieb. I know, but it caught your attention, right?

Well at first I was just going to read it with the same perspective I would use when researching a book for a paper. I didn't want to buy into Gottlieb's crazy theory. But the more I read it, the more I find myself agreeing with her.

Girls have these lists-whether they are written down on paper and posted on their wall, or if they are simply mental-they have lists, and they can be quite extensive, if not unrealistic. He needs to be talented but humble. Warm but not clingy. Vulnerable but no weak. Strong but sensitive. He can't be moody or cry very often. He needs to love books and play the guitar. Girls think they can find Prince Charming in the real world. They wait for him to sweep them off of their feet. They pass by great guy after great guy because he didn't meet their impossible criteria. Then they end up like Lori Gottlieb, 40 years old and single, wishing that they would have given that guy a chance, even if he did have red hair.

I think it's important to figure out what you're "Deal Breakers" are. What matters the most to you? What can you not live without? Don't settle on those important things, and quit being so picky on the little things.

I'm only on page 50 so far, but I think I'll probably blog about the things I agree/disagree with just because it could be fun to have a different sort of entry than usual.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm. Good thoughts.. I actually thought about this like last week or something. Ha. Thanks for sharing Danielle =)

    ReplyDelete