Worry

Friday 5 February 2010

I'm trying to worry less. I'm a natural worrier, and I always tell people that I have a talent for worrying. And it's true! There's probably a difference between worrying and planning, but I think that when I plan it always turns into worry. I think it is because I have a very vivid imagination and my mind kind of just runs away with itself at times. I can think of a hundred terrible things that could happen in any certain circumstance.

Here's a ridiculous, but true example:

I was sitting in church the first weekend back at John Brown, and the pastor was baptizing a little boy. I suddenly got really distracted and afraid when the pastor went to dunk the little guy in the water. I imagined one of them slipping and hitting their head, or the little boy being too heavy for the pastor, the little boy slipping on his way up the stairs...all kinds of crazy ideas. So I held my breath until the boy had safely exited the tub.

The crazy thing is that a few days later my friend was like, "Oh my goodness did you hear about the pastor who, right before he was about to baptize someone, electrocuted himself with his microphone and died?!"

See? It can happen.

But, the point is that I'm trying to stop worrying.



"Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey!" --Barbara Hoffman

Or, as one of my friend so simply puts it, "Don't worry about it."


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!