Wife

Saturday 22 November 2014



There are days I wake up,
and can't believe this is my life.

With the apartment, 
the shared closet,
the bills, furniture still in boxes,
the fights over smelly trash bags,
the 9-5 (ish) workday waiting for me.

I'm married.
I love him.

I love coming home to warm meals & Netflix,
I love the constant cuddles, kisses, and love he gives me.
I love Sunday mornings when we have real conversations about our future.

And there's all the cliches.
It's harder than I imagined,
I don't get to see him 24/7 like I want to.
Working and keeping up a home is...work.
And I get SO stressed out about how imperfect it is.

There are days all I can do is sit in the Starbuck's cafe,
just for a chance 10 second greeting in the middle of rush.
Sometimes he works from 5a-1p, and I work from 12p-8p.
This honestly sucks.

Other days, all I can do is open my Bible,
the devotion I've been reading,
surrender the stress
and hope I can learn something to benefit us both.

Last night I was finally able to vent the frustration I've been feeling at work,
and he gave me some really helpful ideas, because he's a lover.
And then I just started crying long repressed tears.
Why is this so hard?

Sometimes he has to remind me of really obvious things,
like "your job is just that-- a job"
and "if you want to quit and be a writer (my dream job) we would make it work"
and "maybe God has you doing something difficult for a reason"
and "maybe you can't answer the 'why' question because you aren't supposed to"

Here I grew up knowing I would be a wife one day,
 I imagined I would be the comforting one,
the one to support the other through hard things,
and here he is--doing all that and more for me,
at a time when I have nothing left to give back.

Again, I love him.
Happy 2 months and 1 day of marriage, sweet Christopher.
Thanks for dealing with my crazy, stressed, all-over-the-place self
every single day.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!