Be Kind

Saturday 22 November 2014


Part of working in the mental health field
is being aware of what's going on inside of you.

I try to practice this everyday,
but sometimes my perfectionism takes over,
and I focus on all the things I'm doing wrong.

The anxiety I feel every day when I leave for the office
or the fear that I won't be able to do enough
or my own awkwardness.

When I do this I undermine the person God created me to be.
I forget authenticity, and embrace the old copycat me.
I try to be like the other counselors.
Funny, professional, seasoned.

I forget to be patient with myself.
New things take time.

Grad school taught me a very important lesson,
I'm going to make mistakes.

I teach my clients to be mindful,
not to judge themselves too harshly.
But I forget to follow my own advice.

I forget to look around.
I recently went through a HUGE transition.
I married, moved, and started a new job in less than 3 weeks.
This is my crash course in learning to be a wife, a professional, a home-maker...

I forget to notice that I'm not alone,
I have a caring husband,
helpful co-workers,
and a list of friends that love me.

Do you ever forget to be kind to yourself?


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!