Sport.

Wednesday 3 November 2010


Running Cross Country this year has been....really hard. I started out so excited and competitive, but it seems like sickness after sickness have sucked the life out of my love for running. I can count the days when I didn't feel sick while running on one hand. Each day is harder and harder as I try to suck up enough energy and ignore the pain for however long we'll be running that day. First I found out that I was anemic--which is why I sat down in the middle of our first 5K race and almost quit because I didn't have enough whatever it is in my blood to keep going. Then, after that only helped a little bit, I went back to the doctor and had a sonogram, only to find out that not only do I have an ovarian cyst but I also have a POCS, a syndrome that will probably make it so I can't have children.

Our girls team started out with 11 girls, but because of sicknesses and hurts and other such circumstances, we are now down to 7 girls, exactly enough for a team. It's funny to think that God could teach me something through a sport...but maybe he has. I haven't quit yet. And I have had to find contentment through something besides success, because I have been anything but successful this season.

This is the last week. Today is the last speedwork day. Saturday is the last race.
And all I want is to do my best...to push myself to my own limit, which might not be very far, and know that I gave as much as I could.

And then I can take a week off and then start running again---and not worry about time or distance or speed. If I start to feel sick, I'll stop. And hopefully I can start feeling healthy again, and I can start running with friends, and maybe the love for running will come back.

"In a sport that's ruled by the clock, freeing myself from the minutes and seconds that define success was liberating. I was now free to run when I wanted, without the gnawing obligation that comes with a competitive pursuit. I no longer have an interest in running "against" anyone. Rather, I'm often looking for someone to run "with," and it's the camaraderie, rhythm and ritual that continue to hold my interest."


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!