Learning to write again.

Thursday 12 January 2012


I've been working on applying for Grad school.
I've been overwhelmed by what the schools want to know about me.
I have to write essays that convey who I am and what I'm passionate about.
The newest essay has surprised me.
The question is: What are your spiritual gifts?
...
I don't exactly know.
So, I took a free online test.
And, surprise, my Spiritual Gift is writing.
I don't know what this says for my future as a counselor,
but I love to write.

When I learn something, spiritual or not,
I have this desire to write & share it.
Learning gives me something to say.

But recently I have been stifling that something and have become to afraid to say it.
I'm afraid of what other people will think.
I mean, this is the world wide web.
Anyone could read my thoughts
and agree or disagree;
be hurt or be motivated.

Which is especially scary if authenticity is something I truly want to live out.


Today in chapel we were asked to realize our gift
-the one that brings God glory-
and give it back to Him.

Writing.
I surrendered my writing to Him.

Then, 30 minutes later, I read this little pdf:
http://goinswriter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/The-Writers-Manifesto.pdf

and then this one:
http://epicelephantdesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Starting-Over-A-Manifesto-By-Michael-Perkins.pdf

And then I felt like writing again.
I'm not making a plan.
I'm just going to start writing,
again,
more,
often,
for myself,
for God's glory.

And see what happens.


1 comment:

  1. danielle! i am SO SO SO excited to see that you are applying to grad schools. You are a truly beautiful woman! i love you dearly!

    ReplyDelete