Dead things.

Sunday 27 May 2012



I once had someone dear to me 
pray over "the dead things" in my life.

She prayed that they would no longer haunt me,
that they would no longer have a power over me,
or hold me back.

"There are things that have to be forgotten
if you want to go on living"

I remember feeling like she was seeing through me
to something very dead,
something that I was keeping alive 
in thoughts and wonderings.

For so long I was
chasing distractions,
 those wounds gaping open.

And here I am,
months, years later
trying so hard to let it be forever dead,
seeking healing from that past,
afraid to be still.
Because stillness creates ugly scabs.

I share this because you probably have dead things too,
the kind you aren't letting go of.

Hurts, Regrets, Failures, Shame
Lost love,  
It's not easy once God reveals it.
But let us have the courage to let it die.
Because death creates space for life.

This is the verse a dear, married friend sent to me:

"But forget all that--it is nothing compared to what I am going to do.
For I am about to do something new.
See, I have already begun!
Do you not see it?"
Isaiah 43:18







No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!