Keep looking up.

Sunday 3 April 2011

Yesterday I ran my first half-marathon.
...and is it ridiculous to say that it was FUN?

Because it really was.
My friend Katy and I ran without watches,
because we wanted to run without pressure.

And we met some interesting runners...
...a mom who has run 8 half-marathons and definitely passed us...
...a shirtless man over 40 who made some joke about not letting girls pass him...

And we said a few miles worth of prayers.
And we waved to our favorite fans, Rachel and Libby.

And we finished in 1:55 (making my unspoken goal of under 2 hours).
And we placed 4th in our age group!

It was actually really amazing how spiritual of an experience it was,
whenever things got really hard (like when mile 12 met a huge hill),
I found myself remembering scriptures and praying for courage.

I love how the Bible has so many comparisons to running a race,
we are called to keep hoping
to have perseverance
and to keep our eyes on Jesus--our champion.

"Let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who perfects our faith."- Hebrews 12:1-2

2 comments:

  1. danielle, I love this! so awesome that you did the half:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am glad you had such a good experience! i think after i have this baby if i can find the time i'd like to try a little running...we shall see! and congratulations on a great time :)

    ReplyDelete