Family Ties in Country Tyrone

Wednesday 9 December 2009


Hello to the three of you who read this...

I felt like I should send an update, since most have no idea what's going on with me right now.

I'm in County Tyrone, finding and meeting my Irish family.

I've been learning a lot about the history of the Wilsons. In case you didn't know, the Wilsons imigrated to the US in like the 1880s. And my dad and my cousin found living relatives here. I spend a lot of time with my 4th cousins. They are just class.

Yesterday we met Woodrow Wilson, who is named after the US President. We went to the place where the US President Woodrow's family lived, and the living Woodrow told us beautiful stories about growing up there. Then we just met and talked about the past with a few other people. I love all of my family here. They are all so sweet, and they feed us way too well. Today we are going to our homestead, the farm where we started, and the American Folk Park so we can try and improve the family tree.

We're staying in this place called The Barn, and I have my own room. It's a beautiful view out my window, and I got to see the Irish sunset both days.

I've never drank so much tea and coffee. I'm pretty sure I'm dehydrated.

I'm really excited for tonight, we're having a family reunion with 40 of our Irish relatives. I get to meet them all!

Tomorrow my dad and I are going hiking, then Friday is Dublin, then Saturday is home. I can't wait. I miss my mama, or "mum" as they say here.

"Though the mountains may fall and the hills may fade. The faithful love of the Lord endures forever" --Isaiah 54:11

2 comments: