Obsession::Claddagh Rings

Tuesday 1 December 2009


We had to give an art presentation today on our visual experiences of Ireland. We went in alphabetical order, which is always bad news for me. So I was forced to sit through everyone else's fantastic presentations and compare my own to theirs, and completely lose all confidence I had in myself before I went up in front of the class. Why do we do that anyways--comparing ourselves to others is lame.

But, the point is, that it got me thinking about what one symbol I will remember Ireland by, and I decided it is the Claddagh ring.

If you have no idea what a Claddagh ring is, don't worry, because I looked it up on wikipedia just for you. The Claddagh ring a traditional Irish ring that has a two hands holding a heart with a crown on top. I think they are really strange looking, and the symbolism is the part that I like about them. (What an English major I am!)
The heart stands for love, the hands stand for friendship, and crown stands for loyalty. The expression "Let love and friendship reign forever" is connected to the ring. Most of them don't really have diamonds in the middle, but the picture I chose does-it was pretty. It's an example of a Claddagh ring that is used as an engagement ring. I don't know how I feel about that. If I were to wear a Claddagh ring as an engagement ring, I would wear this one:



Try not to pay attention to her weird knuckles...


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!