No Disadvantage

Tuesday 21 August 2012



I have a confession to make:
This past weekend I went to a single's conference.

No, it was not put on by E-Harmony,
or its Christian counterpart Christian Mingle.
(Not that there is anything wrong with them! I'm just not ready to go there.)

It was hosted by a church whose theology I trust.

It still felt weird to sit in a pew amidst a LOT of other single people.

It was almost like some sort of confession,
& unmasked a lot of lies I didn't even know were there.

Yet it was freeing to realize there are lots of kinds of singleness.

The divorced kind,
the just out of college kind,
the widowed kind,
the 38 and never been married kind.

I sat there in my row of lovely single friends,
& listened to the pastor plainly and openly talk about singleness
on a background of the Word.

"The Kingdom is a far great Reality than marriage."
"Singleness is just as much a way to participate in the Kingdom as marriage."
"Singleness is a time to invest in the Kingdom of God and to lay up treasure in the Kingdom."
"There are no disadvantages to being single."
"You contribute to the Kingdom by making disciples, not only by bearing children."

It was a lot of truth that went against some things I hear in culture today.
And it was just enough to calm my heart,
focus my hope on things eternal,
and direct my love towards the others in my life.

Seek ye first the kingdom....right?




No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!